Pie scrap bites with cranberry bacon jam
Loved these lil pie scrap bites with savory cranberry bacon jam so much. Easy snack or appetizer - topping could be literally anything you want as long as it can stand up to baking for ~25 minutes @ 425. Thank you @emcdowell for reminding me never to discard my pie scraps!
Loose recipe for the cranberry bacon jam:
- Fry a few strips of bacon, set aside
- Sautee ~1/2 an onion and ~2 cloves of garlic in the bacon fat. I diced the onion and did a shorter sautee (~10 mins) but caramelized slices (~40 mins) would be pretty awesome if you have the patience.
- Mix in a few tablespoons of cranberry sauce (could also use any fruit jam here) - you can always more later
- Add in crumbled bacon pieces
- Add in ~1 teaspoon of balsalmic vinegar and a few cracks of black pepper, cook on low for ~10 minutes
- I might have added butter. I probably added butter.
I found this was better after I let it sit overnight — definitely want to experiment with this one more since it’s my first attempt at bacon jam.